Monday 23 May 2011

World Bird Wednesday - Tawny Frogmouth.

I was coming home a last weekend just as it was getting dark. As I got out of the car I could hear possums squabbling in a large gum trees so I went to have a look. As I approached a large bird few from the tree. My first reaction was “owl”, but it when I had a better look it turned into a Tawny Frogmouth. Luckily it was still there when I came back with the camera. It’s a common mistake to think these birds are some form of owl, but they are more closely related to Nightjars.






















As their name suggest they have huge gapping mouths and are nocturnal hunters. By day they sit upright in trees, relying on their camouflage. Seen in most lights during the day (and they are hard to find) they really do look like broken off branches. Luckily this one gave the game away by flying. I’ve removed the “red-eye” caused by the flash, but the eyes should be orange!

You can find more world birds here, and you can see the latest post on my other blog by clicking the Paying Ready Attention link on the RHS of the page.

Enjoy the birds.

15 comments:

  1. Fortunate stop!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Look at that whiskery mouth to help him catch bugs and such! He looks big! And I love that broad tail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting,and cool photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how cool! Great sighting of this neat looking bird. I have seen them in zoo's but never in the wild. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you and very good photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this bird was an Owl at first glance. Thanks for sharing this very different bird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great night shot and a beautiful bird. Wonderful captures and story. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing capture Stewart! A night shot no less! Anyone else would be at the pub, camera in the trunk. This is why you are the best, capturing what no one else does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful bird to see....lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must be very exciting to come back with the camera and see this special bird waiting for you! Well, a big wish for me! Gret night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shot of this hard to spot bird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting about the bird and nice pictures too. So much to see if we pay attention:)

    ReplyDelete