Sunday 18 December 2011

Macro Monday - Rose Chafer

I found this rather splendid Rose Chafer (Eupoecila australasiae) beetle spinning around on its back on one of our window sills this week. I have never seen one before. I popped it down on some of the slates outside the window and took these pictures. I suppose I should have put it on a flower or a bush really! After a couple of minutes it seemed to recover and flew off with a loud and impressive buzzing.
















About 25% of all known animals are beetle – so if we ever get the chance to send a representative to an intergalactic conference, an argument could be made for sending this chap (or chapess) rather than one of the naked apes.


You can find more macro shots at Macro Monday.


You can see the most recent post to my other blog by clicking on the Paying Ready Attention image on the RHS of the page.

Enjoy the close ups!

16 comments:

  1. Ah ... but how would we select a representative??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your close-ups. It takes some effort to get the beetle's portrait. Green background may be more interesting but it may be harder to get a good portrait. I haven't seen such a beetle before. Probably not available here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great close-ups, especially that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are really exquisite macro shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots! I'm sure s/he appreciated the help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one fine Coleoptera!
    Best regards.
    David/Houston Texas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little beauty, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific Stewart! I just love that little beetle face!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots, Stewart. Looks like a little jewel. I like the head-on shot... really creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Macro.fantastic patterns. Looks as it's going to attac....

    Christina, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good macro shots!

    http://blogg.birgittasplace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent macro...glad he stayed around long enough for you to get a couple of shots in. 25% eh? That surprises me, and I'm not sure if it is a good way or a bad way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic photos - especially the second one enlarged. He/she actually looks quite fierce.

    I used to love beetles as a kid, especially what we called Christmas Beetles. It was so exciting seeing the first one on the big gum tree we had. I am afraid we used to try to get them down from their leaves though....kids.

    ReplyDelete