Wednesday 4 October 2017

Wild Bird Wednesday 271 - Bassian Thrush

This is the first of a series of pictures I managed to take while we were away last week at Apollo Bay.  We had stayed in this house before, but this time - possibly due to a closer than normal spring - there were not as many flowers as in the past, and this meant that the birds were rather spread out - without a nice focal point to concentrate on.  As as I was trying to work out what to do, a Bassian Thrush (Zoothera lunulata) started feeding on a small patch of lawn to my right.

So, focal point found!

The Bassian Thrush is generally found in wet forests, and as one of those backed on to the block of land the house was on, it was no real surprise to find one on the lawn.  This bird looks a rather similar to the Song Thrush, and this was made more so by its lawn feeding.  However, the Song Thrush and Bassian Thrush are not in the same genus.

The Bassian Thrush feeds with a rapid stop start motion - dashing forward and then seeming to stop to listen.  I'm not sure if this is really what it is doing - but it does look like.  This individual bird was a lot 'braver' than some I have seen - in fact it got too close to focus on at one stage!

Close examination of some of the pictures shows that this bird has some form of lump in front of its left eye.  I only noticed it when I was processing the pictures.











As ever you can join in with WBW by clicking on the blue button below. SM 

22 comments:

  1. When I first saw your photos I was sure that this bird would have "scaly" in its name because of its scalloped feather pattern. That lump is an interesting finding, so easy to overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new one on me Stewart. Like a small dark Mistle Thrush is the nearest I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous feather pattern! Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty little bird and I am sure it is not bothered by its eye. We never see true thrushes here! Take care cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hari OM
    Oh I love this little fella... I recently discovered a dunnock on a neighbour's feeder with lumps and bumps and research revealed 'dunnock/avian pox'. Hope this one is just an anomaly! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and a beautiful little bird. I wish something like that would come down on my lawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Stewart. Your Bassian Thrush is a lovely bird. I love the scaly patterned feathers. Great series of photos. Thanks for hosting. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful detail on that bird. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting bird - thrushes all seem to have the same type of pattern on their chest feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lump or no lump.....that's a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great shots of this bird Stewart.I have onnly seen itonce myself and that indeed was in a wet forest. yes very unusual to see it on a lawn I would think. Thanks for hosting and have a good week. I am off to Malawi and sent you an email tolink me in IF i cannot do it myself! I never know what to exoect when going to Malawi but it is generally not good internet and a lot of power cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Stewart. Beautiful bird and great photos. I can't notice/see the plump in it's eye...

    ReplyDelete
  13. How special that it got too close to focus, almost. I enlarged and saw the growth. What a beautiful little Thrush - a new bird to me. Thanks, Stewart, for sharing and also for hosting this meme. With me working full time, I don't get out too much now to photograph birds. The time will come again though. meanwhile I posted about something close to my heart, the endangered Bearded Vulture. Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stewart, a new bird for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful bird! Glad you found it easily where you were staying! Love these close shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. interesting feather pattern. He looks kind of tweedy... I hope the lump is nothing to worry about ..hope you're having a good day

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely he is listening to ... or for ... something. Sweet little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful detail, Stewart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those markings are charming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photo shoot of this pretty creature! I see a thrush now and then but they seem to elude my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, amazing Blog Thank you for sharing click now for more Online Photo Gallery

    ReplyDelete